A November 1913 issue of “The Construction News” announced the construction of a new building on Cherokee. 2608 Cherokee Street would be a two story brick building, to be completed at the cost of $6,500.
Early tenants included a florist (first E. G. Sedevic Floral Company, and later the florist J. P. Schaad) and a tailor (O. Hinze). In 1925, Schady’s Barber & Beauty Shop moved into the 2608 half of the building, where they operated for a few decades before eventually closing.
In 2008, the building was purchased by South Side Spaces. Local architect, Peter Hammond, used historic photos to determine how to restore the facade to its 1913 appearance. Original doors, woodwork, and other details were restored wherever possible. The floor plan remained largely the same, with some new but necessary additions including new windows. By 2011, the project was completed. The finished product was true to the building’s original purpose – a mixed use building providing residential and commercial spaces. Winner of the Landmarks Assocation’s “Most Enhanced” award, the building features two beautiful modern apartments and two commercial spaces, currently occupied by local businesses Midwest Guitar and ButtonMakers.
The Finished Spaces & The Businesses at 2608-10 Cherokee Street
Midwest Guitar School offers an array of courses in the art, craft and engineering of building and repairing stringed instruments. They have designed their courses to provide each student with the individualized instruction needed to acquire the skills and knowledge in their specific areas of interestVisit Midwest Guitar's Site
With two locations – the original shop is located in Seattle, the other here on Cherokee – ButtonMakers does exactly what their name implies. They sell buttons and button making machines!Visit ButtonMakers site