About the Project
The former Kinloch Telephone Exchange Building is located at 2201 Indiana Avenue in the historic McKinley Heights neighborhood. Built in 1904, this building was one of four exchanges owned and operated by the Kinloch Telephone Company at the turn of the century.
After sitting vacant for years, the building was purchased by South Side Spaces in 2013. Like all South Side Spaces projects, the primary goal was to restore the original early 1900’s character and charm of the building while providing the necessary updates and modern amenities utilized in the 21st century. However, additional challenges existed due to the building’s 10,000 square foot size, unusual layout, and condition.
After several months of diligent planning, construction began. Every material and fixture used in the renovation was carefully and consciously selected. Well preserved rooms were meticulously restored, like the many stalled bathroom used by the “telephone girls” in 1904, while modern additions like the walk in shower in the master bathroom were constructed. The end result is a marriage and collaboration of old and new, antique and modern.
History of Kinloch
Learn more about the Kinloch Telephone Company from its beginnings in 1896.History of the Kinloch Telephone Company